The Labour Party was founded by trade unions to give the movement a voice in parliament and the CWU has been affiliated to it since the union was formed.
The CWU’s affiliation to Labour means that the union as a whole, and our members as individuals, have certain rights within the party.
The Regional Political Committee is attended by Branch Political Officers, the Regional Political Lead and Regional Secretary.
The committee meets four times a year and 2020 Priorities are:
- Continue the excellent work of being a CWU flagship Region for political activism
- Maintain an excellent political agenda with good connections internally and externally.
- Work with Leads to arrange speakers for meetings and events.
- Co-ordinate and organise delegations to attend demonstrations, marches and Labour-led events and Conferences
- Encourage membership of the Labour Party Labour Unions – Labour membership form
- Continue to run a Councillors network in the North West.
- Increase engagement with CLPs and ensure every CLP is affiliated by a CWU branch
- Support CWU candidates / Councillors and bring forward CWU candidates for the future
- Campaign for Labour Metro Mayors and Police and Crime Commissioners candidates
- Extend political training for Branch Political Officers and activists via the North West TULO committee.