Over 50 delegates attended the online CWU North West Regional Annual General Meeting:
Dave Kennedy, Regional Chair opened the meeting by paying tribute to all our representatives and branches – the collective strength and resilience of our Key Worker members and Reps, alongside our representative structures makes us the envy of the movement.
The meeting then held a minutes silence for our members who had sadly passed away during the last 12 months.
Dave then introduced Aubrey Thompson and Neil Smith from the GMB who gave delegates an update on the British Gas dispute. Branches and delegates pledged to give all possible support to the GMB and strikers. Neil and Aubrey thanked the Regional Officers for visiting the Stockport picket line and the branches for their donations to the strike fund. Other companies big and small have and are looking to use Fire and Rehire to attack their workers’ pay, pensions and T&Cs while sitting with millions if not Billions in the bank.
The Regional Secretary, Carl Webb presented the 2020 annual report highlighting the excellent work of the Regional Officers and Leads who adapted quickly to the changes on how they would conduct our business because of the Pandemic.
In 2020 the Region actively engaged with numerous campaigns, attended conferences, organised online events, produced campaign videos, and graphics for social media for the following:
- Count Me In
- Capita Top Up 20 Campaign
- Postal Dispute
- Worked with and lobbied politicians to promote Covid safe working in and out of the workplace
- Highlight the work of our members as Key Workers
- Organised Women of Today events
- Supported other unions campaigns
- International Women’s Day
- Workers Memorial Day
- Mental Health Awareness Week
- World Suicide Prevention Day
- Domestic Abuse Awareness Month
- Keep the Triple Lock
- Wear Red Day
- Trade Unionists Against Racism
- Save Our Post Office
- NW Labour and NW TUC Conferences
- Greater Manchester and Merseyside Peoples Employment Charters
- North West CWU Regional Conference
- CWU Mental Health Network
- Total Eclipse of the Sun
- New Deal For Workers
The Assistant Regional Secretary, Karen Kendrick briefed delegates on the Region’s 2021 Strategy and Development Plan. The comprehensive plan was drawn up with the involvement of all Regional Leads and while the priorities of the strategy are challenging and ambitious they are achievable.
A few Key Points from the Strategy are:
- Support the development of the union’s work within the wider trade union movement.
- Co-ordinate 2021 Local Elections.
- Support CWU Industrial campaigns.
- Support and oversee the work of branches and implement the measures of success.
- Develop and embed the Equality Agenda across the North West.
- Promote and support the CWU Contact Centre Charter.
- Promote Mental Health resources.
- Support the call to action to adopt Zero Covid strategy.
- Create recruitment strategy for retired members.
- Achieve 75% of branches to have elected Young Workers Officers.
Emma Garner, Regional Finance Officer moved the Region’s accounts and outlined how the funds had been used in 2020 to support our industrial disputes, promote our campaigns and important events in the Trade Union diary. The Region also made donations in solidarity and to good causes.
All reports were agreed and the Chair thanked everyone for attending and closed the meeting.